Thursday, April 3, 2008

What do you do when all your dreams come true?!?!

So one of my lifelong dreams came true last night! I spent my fair share of time jumping up and down, skipping, and squeeling. Yes, I even teared up on a few occassions. But I don't know what to do anymore. I love New York City. For all you inquiring minds, I got to meet Julie Andrews last night! I still can't believe it! But I did! I've wanted to meet her for as long as I've known who she is.




So I was watching Good Morning America and Live with Regis and Kelly...and there she was! They mentioned that she would be signing copies of her new book down in Union Square. It clicked. That's in New York City! I live here! I jumped around a bit and even cried for a few seconds, It got penciled in every calendar I own. I was going to be there! The next day (day of signing) I called Barnes and Noble to see how early I would have to get there to wait in line. They said I needed an arm band. I panicked. They were running out. I ran to the subway, took express trains and ran to the store. I ran up to the fourth floor and sweating, I managed to get one of the last 10 wrist bands! I cried again and hugged the poor guy giving them out. But I had one!



I then met the Sister Missionaries at the famous Serendipity restraunt. Yes, it looks just like the movie, except I think the one in the movie is bigger. It's tiny! We were lucky. Usually there's about a two hour waiting list, because they can't hold that many people. But we walked right in. Good timing.




I ordered Ice Cream Crepes. I'm salivating right now just thinking about them. They were that good. I'm positive it was calorie and fat loaded, but I didn't care. As soon as I took that first bite. It was amazing. I even spooned all the extra sauce. Don't judge until you've tried it. I shared it with one of the Sisters who ordered the famous Frozen Hot chocolate. It is a combination of 14 different chocolates! Sold! It was fabulous! So anyone who comes to visit will be going there if you're up to it. It was a little pricey, but so good.




The next big event was Julie Andrews! I went two hours early to get a seat. I met some fabulous people, but I think I was the biggest fan of them all. Most had only seen Mary Poppins and Sound of Music...I have seen a few more. But they were fun. When she came up the stairs, I squeeled and jumped up and down, with all the girls around me! It was amazing. All I can say is she is beautiful, classy, elegant, considerate, and perfect! She was every bit as wonderful as I imagined. She answered four previously gathered questions about her book and its process.






And then she signed. She didn't personalize because her arthritis wouldn't hold up that long, but I still have a book with her signature and I got to shake her hand. I had to try really hard not to squeel "Can I touch you?" I held it together, and shook her hand and thanked her. The conversation was longer, but I won't type it. It was great! So enjoy my pictures. We weren't allowed a flash, but I got some in. It was amazing. I love New York!






9 comments:

Marisa said...

How neat Chelsea!! SHe is amazing! I would have ran there too!

lauriemcmurt said...

Chelsea, what a life! First, Catherine Zeta Jones and now Julie Andrews and somewhere in there I remember Tyra Banks! How awesome! You should become a paparazzo (if that is the singular form!).Anyway, be sure to make your way over to Albuquerque when you guys have to do your residency. It is awesome out here and we miss you guys. Megan misses Whiting! Did he make the trip to NY? Take care!

Hannah said...

What a fun story! Julie Andrews is one of the most incredibly talented people. How fun! Serendipity sounds like my kid of place too. :) I'm so glad that you got to have all of your dreams come true.

scooper46 said...

Wow, oh wow! How cool can it be? So glad when your idols hold up to scrutiny, so sad when they don't. Way to score Sweetie.

Cassie said...

Oh man, that is so awesome. I can't believe all the neat stuff you get to do there. Ok thats it, your taking me to that cafe when I get there. John already knows I want to spend a million dollars while we live there cause I want to see everything. How fun!

MommyMert said...

Do you have any idea of how envious I am right now?? Serendiptity AND JULIE ANDREWS! You are living the life my cousin. xo

The Laidlaws said...

I'm so jealous of all your fabulous New York City adventures! I have always loved Julie Andrews, she is the picture of class. I love the story of you hugging the guy, I can totally picture you doing that. =)

Smithers said...

I can't believe you met Julie Andrews!!! That is so incredible. I want to live in NYC!!!! That's it. I'm packing my bags right now.

Popok said...

Fabulous pictures! I'm so glad you got to meet Julie Andrews.

Anne