Sunday, July 20, 2008

Xanadu sing-a-longs...don't judge me!

So I've decided to try and add a blog post each Sunday on why I love New York City. This thought keeps coming to me because every time I step outside my building, I get so excited and think how much I love the city. Better watch out! We might turn into city dwellers after all. The things you see and do are so random that you can't help but love where you are. Sometimes, it makes up for all the downfalls of big city life. We love it!!!

My first reason I love New York is the sheer number of random entertainment opportunities you can find. Like a Xanadu movie sing-a-long! That's right! How much fun. I know the movie lacks things other movies have like acting, a good script, great costumes, and a plot...but you can't deny that Xanadu just makes you smile. Olivia Newton-John is brilliant and hopelessly in love with a very ugly man. I have no idea how he was cast! But once you get past the rollerskating musical numbers, orange spandex, and short shorts (on men)...it's a great movie.

Being sing-a-long rookie, I was a little unsure about what to expect. I knew the crowd that the Rocky Horror Picture Show draws, so I could only imagine that this would be the same. Bryant was a wonderful husband and agreed to go with me because things like this are always more fun when you've got someone with you. But his response was "I'd rather go to the ballet, than go to this..." Translation: "I really, really, really, don't want to go. So much, that I'd rather watch a bunch of men in tights..." But he loves me, so he went, under the condition that he didn't have to be in any pictures. I thought this was a great deal.


Did I mention that this started at midnight? Down in Greenwhich Villiage? It was a great time. And the people turned out to relatively normal. Nobody in insane clothing. There was only a few men in really short shorts and knee socks. Two of the muses from the Broadway cast even came and sang with us before the movie started! This was the first ever Xanadu sing-a-long in New York City! I was there. Not that it's a monumental event, but look where the Rocky Horror sing-a-longs have gone!

We got goodie bags full of items to use during the movie. We had art to rip up and throw in the air with Sonny, bubbles to blow during "Don't Walk Away", Poppers for "Rock-n-Roll", glow sticks for the final number, "Xanadu", and kazoos to use every time there was a cook scene change or one of the muses dissapeared into a laser beam. It soon became interactive. People shouting out and singing along. I loved it! Bryant even started singing along for a few songs. It helped that they had the lyrics on a board next to the screen. At thene nd, he even stood up and waved his glow stick around while we screamed the song, "Xanadu"! But don't tell him I told you.


This is a picture of the movie screen. It's during my favorite scene. Kiera, a muse, goes to visit her dad, Zues. It takes place on a screen of laser beams and twinkling stars. She even glows orange! Just a taste my friends of Xanadu and it's revolutionary special effects...ok, so their not so revolutionary, but it makes you smile, right?

I had a blast and would do it again in a heart beat! Love it. Doesn't this make you love New York too?!?!?!

2 comments:

MommyMert said...

Wowsers! :)

30 year-old Dad said...

Whoa. I had no idea such a thing existed, or that I knew people who would attend it. ;P

MK and I rented that once a year or so ago, but we couldn't finish it, for obvious reasons...