Tuesday, February 19, 2008

President's Day







Bryant didn't have any school on Presiden't Day. He had tests and I was sick on Valentine's Day so we celebrated both on Monday. We went to Grant's Tomb. I can now officially end all debate as to who is buried in Grant's Tomb! And if you don't believe me, see above pictures for proof. I had no idea how big it was! It's the largest tomb in the United States. As you can see from the picture. Everything was great. It has a informational display about Ulysses S. Grant and his life and how he ended up buried in New York City. I wondered that. It's a little random. But it turns out he lived here after his presidency.



We then headed to ground zero to see what progress had been done and took a tour of Trinity Church. This is a quaint little church that housed the relief workers and fireman when they needed a break from 9/11 rescue work. It is also the church where George Washington went to pray immediately following his inauguration. There's a lot of history there. And amazingly it escaped unscathed from the Twin Towers' collapse. If you ever get the chance, it's a beautiful and peaceful place to visit.





Then, we decided to walk the Brooklyn Bridge. It's the most famous bridge, and being a closet Newsies fan, I had to do it. So we walked across the bridge. It's a lot of fun and anyone who comes to visit will get the chance. What a gorgeous and historic bridge.


We ended the day with a delicious Italian dinner at a restraunt down the street from us. Despite getting rained on, it was a fun day. I love the city! Have I said that before?






7 comments:

FAUDIN FAMILY said...

How fun! That was a great makeup for V-Day! I was sick as well on V-day! You and Bryant are having so much and doing lots of things while you are in NY! Just wondering do you guys have a car there or do you just use the public transport?

MommyMert said...

I love that you get to experience all of these things! What wonderful memories you are making! I love you (and miss you!). OH--Dad wanted me to tell you about his favorite pizza place in NYC, but haha... I forgot. You will have to ask him. (He served his mission there). xo

Hannah said...

What a fun day! How fun to be able to peruse New York anytime you want! The city definitely is awesome!

Cassie said...

Oh, I wanna go so bad. If I ever get to come out and visit I'm calling you up so you can show me around town. John is gonna be there next week for work. Lucky! It looks like you guys had a really fun day together. I hope I get to see you again soon, I had so much fun hanging out with you when you were here last. Dang, why do we have to live on opposite ends of the country. Love ya!

30 year-old Dad said...

that's ironic...umm, or coincidental...because Mary Karlee and I combined those same two holidays 2 years ago because we both had night classes on V-Day. We ended up making Valentine's out of little metal presidential portraits (otherwise known as 'coins').

Heather and Trevor said...

YOu lucky ducks! I loved seeing the Brooklyn Bridge! Such a fun day!

Marisa said...

Chelsea! Hello from AZ! This is cousin Marisa... I am so happy you have a blog, I cant wait for updates!