Friday, May 16, 2008

A new kind of loser!



Yep that's me! The new found loser. But I'm proud of it. I was a New Kids on the Block fan then and I am still. I got up at 5:00 am this morning to go out for the Today Show's NKOTB performance! I was there over two hours early and still couldn't really see the stage. Some people had camped out for 2 days! It was pouring rain, so we huddled under umbrellas all debating over which New Kid was the hottest. Reminiscing about the embarrassing t-shirts, posters, and bed sheets that we all owned. I personally had every pin up I could find out of Teen Beat, Bop, and various other magazines. I owned a neon t-shirt with all their faces on them and envied my friend Kristin's bed sheets with a passion. My parents weren't so keen on the New Kids because they were a bit mature (they talked about being turned on!), so I would go to Kristin's house to watch their videos on MTV. I remember dancing with them and learning the freakish step back step with the hand waving to "Step by Step". Yes, that was me!



Today was no different. Well, I guess it was. I was 24 and not 10...as was every other woman there. But we were all screaming like we were 10 again. And singing...and screaming...and screaming some more. I made friends with a girl holding a hot pink sign. Yes, she got pointed at by Donnie! And I was standing right by her...so he pointed at me! He he he. My favorite was a girl behind me begging the NKOTB to bring back the stonewashed jeans!



I think one of the funniest parts was some of the moms had brought their girls (7-14 yrs) and they kept making comments like "What's the big deal?" and referring to the older women, "what are they doing here?" And when they began to perform, I think they were all suprised that these grown women could scream and party like they could. Although, most of them hadn't ever heard one of their songs before. They just looked at their moms like they were nuts!



They were great! I have added some of their music to my playlist for all of you to enjoy. Along with some pictures. It was raining and I couldn't see for most of the time, so there isn't a whole lot, but enjoy another New York minute.


So here's me waiting inline...in the rain. It wasn't that cold when I left the apartment!



That's how far back I was from the performance. Couldn't see a whole lot. But we could hear it all...

And there they are!

2 comments:

MommyMert said...

LOL--I was wondering if you were there. LOL...

Popok said...

A few months ago Ian and I found a New Kids on the Block book at a small used book store (How on earth did it make its way to Cambodia?). It had a short biography of each guy and a few pictures from their tours. We laughed at how old school it was.

How old are they now?