Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Our Spring Break Adventures

It's hard to imagine that Bryant is in medical school and we are just now getting our first spring break! Yes, BYU never had spring breaks. So we enjoyed every moment. As you know, we bused it to Washington DC. We saw and did a lot, so I may give up writing it all and just post the pictures, since that's usually what I like to look at anyway on people's blog pages. But I'll try to get it all down.
Since living in NYC, we have become big proponents and public transportation. It's cheap, easy, and often faster than a car. And while we're at it, walking is often faster than public transportation. But not to DC. So we found a great deal that would get us to DC for $20 each. My Uncle Shawn informed me this was cheaper than the toll fares alone! Yeah for buses! We tried to shy away from the China Town buses, and managed to find a great, clean bus that took us directly to DC without stopping in other towns to pick people up. Huge benefit over Greyhound!


We invaded my Uncle Shawn's house for the week. I felt bad because he ended up being out of town for most of it, but he was great and let us make ourselves at home. This ended up being lucky because he lives 5 minutes form the Metro which is 30 minutes from DC. The Dc metro is much cleaner than NYC, but more confusing. I love the convenience of the subway here in the city. You can get on and off anywhere and pay the same fee. It makes it fast and easy.

We tried to take in just about everything we could. I'll admit, I thought I was used to walking (since that's all I do here) but walking that stupid Mall was exhausting! But it made it easy for us to measure how far we've walked in a day. We walked around 6-8 miles a day...not including the wandering around museums. We both came home a few pounds lighter though! There's a view of the mall from the Capitol. It doesn't look that long until you have to walk it! It's one mile from the Capitol to the Washington Monument and then an other mile from Washington to Lincoln monuments. Yes! Lots and lots of walking...


I enjoyed the fact that pretty much everything was free there. We made it to the Holocaust Museum, Bureau of Printing and Engraving, Mt. Vernon, Arlington, Art Museum, natural History Museum, Native American Museum, Postal Museum, all the war monuments (Korea, WWII, Vietnam), all the presidential monuments (Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington, FDR), White House, Capitol tour, Air and Space Museum, the National Archives, the Library of Congress, the Supreme Court Building, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. But we tried to do it all...at least all that we were interested in. I can't say that I'm a big fan of modern art...so we skipped most of that.

We got to see protests. Yeah for angry blue collar workers! I have to say, I would be very disappointed to come to our Nation's capital and not see a protest. There were like a hundred semi and diesel engine trucks all honking their horns and driving towards the capitol building. We joined in and egged them on by tugging our arms to get them to honk more. They were protesting fuel prices, of course. We saw an abortion protest going on outside the Supreme Court building and some sore of Bible thing on the lawn of the Capitol. A group was reading through the entire New Testament. they had lots of readers and people would just stand there and read a chapter at a time. Crazies!


We Mt. Vernon. they've got a great tourist trap there. I wanted to buy everything colonial. We got to see George Washington's Dentures! They weren't wood. He never owned wooden teeth. I think they were worse than wood...They were steal. Talk about pain. They were steal cast with real animal and human teeth in them. They said that's why he always looks tight round the mouth in his portraits. He was fighting the steel dentures! Man. Before that, he had some of his teeth and had fake ones wired to the real ones. I'm so glad for modern dentistry. I can' even begin to tell you how glad I am for Novocaine and polygrip.




Other than that we loved the home. It was beautifully kept and had a magnificent view of the river. We saw the bed where Washington died, as well as his tomb. I didn't know this, but he never had any children of his own. Just step children and lots of nieces and nephews. Martha was a widow when he married her. And he was always too busy with the war and presidency to be at home much. Kudos to Martha for her love and dedication. There was a span of like 8 years where he was home only 10 days or something like that. But I gained a greater appreciation of what an amazing man he was. He gave his entire life to this country and creating a nation that he believed in.


Me hugging one of the few original trees from the Mt. Vernon plantation. George Washington may have hugged this tree! It's my first tree hugger picture!











The left picture is Bryant in front of George Washington's old tomb. He was originally buried here. But, in his will, he requested a new one be built because the old one needed repairs and was running out of space. So the right pictures is Bryant in front of the current tomb of George and Martha Washington.

I also loved Arlington Cemetery. What a humbling place. I found it strange that I was surrounded by thousands of graves, but didn't feel eerie or creepy. It was peaceful and respectful. We walked around. I can't believe the sheer number of graves there are. And I know this is only a fraction of those who gave their lives.



We managed to get to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier just in time for the changing of the guard. What discipline! A great way to show the respect for the soldiers who fought. There were also two Junior Highs who got to have a wreath placed in front of the tomb.


Here's JFK's grave and the eternal flame.

Bryant at the WWII memorial on a very rainy day! It was cold and wet, but we learned, very quickly, how to function under one umbrella.


Yes, those were actually for sale at the gift shop in the Bureau of Engraving and Printing...That pose is for Michaela. Sorry munchkin, I stole your signature pose!

So I've changed my mind about what I want when Bryant graduates medical school. I was thinking Jimmy Choos or a Kitchen Aid, but I think I'm going for The Hope Diamond now. It was fabulous!



This was Bryant's favorite. It's a completely flawless crystal ball. It weighed a few hundred pounds and you could see into your future...

Bryant in the unemployment line at the FDR memorial

I loved this statement on the wall of the Korean War Memorial.



This is for my father. His good friend was killed in the Vietnam War. I always remember him going into the memorial room at BYU and finding his name on the wall and then saluting him. So I found his name on the wall at the Vietnam Memorial.



Overlooking the second half of the mall...That's one mile to the Washington monument in the background! We're on the top of the Lincoln monument where MLK Jr. gave his speech.

In front of Honest Abe...can we saw huge!

You can' really tell, but that's us in front of the Constitution of the United States! It's really there.




That's as close the White House you can get, but there it is! What a beautiful place...

Outside a book store where two cardboard figures...I took an obvious dislike to one of them. Can you guess which one?

There was a theater there that had stars on the sidewalks. I didn't know the theater and can't remember what it was called, but thanks to Gilmore Girls, my appreciation for Paul Anka has developed....


Bryant rockin' out with Sting


Ford's theater where President Lincoln was shot. I had completely forgotten that this happened in Washington DC.


Up in the air Mr. Birdman! This was Emilia Earhart's plane (obviously not the one that crashed...)

Bryant and some Cold War Era missiles



I loved this one...at the Library of Congress was one of the drafts of the Constitution. You can see where a delegate crossed out words and made notes about it. What a priceless document.


The National Archives is one of the prettiest buildings in DC. The murals, ceilings, etc. All breathtaking. We might even rival Europe for this one.



Jefferson Memorial


Outside the capitol after our tour

Behind an old Congressional podium. We were in the hall of statues housed in the old Senate Room



Every state gets to have two statues in the Capitol. Here's Brigham Young. One of the only seated statues.


Now that we've got a video camera. I guess we'll get used to most pictures of us holding a camcorder in our hands...Most of Bryant's on the this trip involved a pose that looked something like this.


We took a tour of the Capitol. It was nice. They gave us headphones that tuned into the tour guide. It made it easy for us to hear her without having to strain ourselves. There were people everywhere, making it impossible to do a tour with out these.



There was aspectacular fountain inside the rotunda of the National Art Museum. Bryant took a video of it. I don't think it can be done justice with my explanation. Huge rotunda with large black marble floors and pillars lining it. In the center was a large, beautiful fountain with spring flowers around it. I couldn't resist a picture.


EarlyWednesday morning, we had to get in line early for tickets to tour the capitol. After that, we went and waited for the Native American Museum to open. It was a bit chilly. This is Bryant's "cold pose".

I had to get apicture here. The Metro stop was called "Foggy Bottom"! Am I the only one that finds this funny?

I found a mother duck and her ducklings basquing in the sun. But I made momma a little nervous as you can tell...

Van Gogh's self portrait in real life! I'd seen it in art books, but here it is.

I discovered that I'm a real fan of Monet. He does beautiful and serene pieces. I loved this one.


We then took a trip down to Williamsburg to stay with Kristi and Ryan for a while. We wandered around colonial Williamsburg while Kristi went to work. Afterwards, we got delectible sandwiches homestyle ginger ale and had a picnic. Finally some gorgeous weather. It rained or was cloudy the entire time we were in DC.


Kristi and Ryan enjoying the amazing food


Bryant by a cannon used at some point during the Revolutionary war. He is also standing outside the oldest educational building in America. William and Mary predates the creation of the United States of America! Thomas Jefferson went here!


We took a drive down to Yorktown and Jamestown. I don't remember which one this is, to tell you the truth. But a great view and a relaxing walk along the beach was just what we needed.

The wind kept blowing my dress and I thought it made me look prego, so we're making fun of that...



It got a little warm, so Kristi and I plopped by the fountain and stuck our hands in to cool off. I can't tell you how much I had to fight the urge to just walk around in it!


We had a fun night of playing Apples to Apples. I love this game. You quickly learn a lot about someone's personality and sense of humor by playing this game. Bryant was also reunited with Buford the Bee. Kristi and I found him while shopping at Wal-Mart for Valentines day forever ago. He's the best cuddle toy there is. It's like 3 feet tall and squishy. I love Buford!

For an adventure, Bryant and I took the Amtrak train home to NYC. I loved it. I liked it better than flying that's for sure. It was less tiring. You spend the same amount of time, but don't have to go through security and layovers. Once you're on the train, you're on the train...It's spacier and more comfortable. Plus you get a view!



We're homeward bound...

10 comments:

30 year-old Dad said...

Whoa! Impressive trip and impressive post. Isn't DC amazing? Mary Karlee & I went there last year and loved every minute - minus the time we raced from the Capitol to the Washington Monument trying to hit both tours in one morning.

Cait and Scott said...

Wow, can i just say..you guys have tooooooooooooo much fun!! I am sooo jealous! I really want to come out and see all the amazing stuff. You will have to convince scott with me!!!

Megan said...

Oh beauford the bee...

MommyMert said...

Wow, I loved this post. Could you do anymore? I wish I could be there to enjoy that with you. Kenzie was a big fan of the free stuff in DC too. Hugs and Kisses, Kari

Popok said...

Here is my list of unconnected comments:

Having worked a dinky and underfunded living history museum for years, I would love to see colonial Williamsburg. I've heard it's impressive. What are Kristi and Ryan doing in Williamsburg? They look so happy.

Isn't the Smithsonian fabulous? As a kid I remember being impressed by Dorothy's ruby red slippers. I'd like to know how the museum acquired the Hope Diamond and the Hooker jewels.

My grandfather, Harrold Melvin Applegate, is buried in Arlington. It's a beautiful place. The Vietnam memorial is sobering. I remember visiting the wall with my father, who pointed out the names of friends and classmates.

After reading your blog, Ian said that we need to visit D.C.

Cassie said...

Wow how fun. I can't wait to see all those places. Only 2 1/2 more months until we are in NJ. I can't wait to see you guys. Everytime I look at your blog I think "Ooh... now she can take me there too!" Lots of love.

Hannah said...

I love Monet too. I actually have a cutting board that has that pic on it. Fun huh?

And yes, Foggy Bottom is a very funny name, but I've gotten used to it because I pass it every time I ride the metro into DC.

Heather and Trevor said...

LOVE that post! We have been to like almost all of those places when we come to visit my sis. What a FUN place to live! Yeah, we are really excited about the house. We did get to pick out everything so that was awesome! Loved hearing from you! :)

Heather and Trevor said...

LOVE that post! We have been to like almost all of those places when we come to visit my sis. What a FUN place to live! Yeah, we are really excited about the house. We did get to pick out everything so that was awesome! Loved hearing from you! :)

Marisa said...

What a great trip!! I cannot wait until I can go there! How amazing to see all the history.